Saturday, May 5, 2012

Pre-hike thoughts and ironies

As we sit aboard our flight to San Diego, I thought I would share a few ironies that I have encountered while planning for this trip.
When I first considered this journey I didn't know much about the trail. My vision of the trail was one with the two of us completely on our own. We would enjoy the calmness and freedom of the wild with no one telling us what we should do or where we should be. We would leave all signs of materialism and selfishness behind and live simply, removing the opaque window through which the natural world is viewed by society.
I believe most of this will prove to be true. But there are some subtle ironies that exist with this utopian vision. First, the pacific crest trail is, after all, a trail. Just as our lives at home may follow down a formulated path, our lives on the trail will follow an established trail. It would be foolish to assume that life on the trail will necessarily be more "free" in this sense. Freedom doesn't come from where you are but how you take advantage of where you are fortunate enough to be. Second, the absence of materialism was initially appealing but the more gear, supplies, and food that I bought, the more I began to realize that this is not cheap. While we may be leaving modern items like tv, electronics, and cars behind, a lot of money was put into getting to where we are now. Finally, I initially thought that this was going to be a selfless trip that no one would understand. Instead, I was met with fascination, happiness, and even a little jealousy. What was first a selfless trip has turned into one that feels slightly selfish.
-Jenna
-Be Free
Hello!
It has been a crazy few days. We graduated Friday and had ceremonies and meals for the first half of the day, and the second half was final preparations for today. I'm writing this post from my bed at Frodo and Scouts residence. They made an amazing meal and put us in a cozy bed. It's been an exciting stressful day filled with every emotion in the book. We are excited and nervous to start the trail tomorrow. This will be an amazing learning experience in every possible way. Thank you to everyone who helped me get to where I am right now. Love you all and miss you. Goodnight and may the force be with you all.

-Natey

2 comments:

  1. Nate and Jenna,
    Rockin' from Tehachapi here. Wishing you guys the best first day ever. Sometimes the first steps can be the most memorable. I know mine were. Have fun and I just love this "Freedom doesn't come from where you are but how you take advantage of where you are fortunate enough to be." So true and might come in handy when you are hot, dead dog tired, hungry, and in pain of some sort. Just one step at a time. Gotta love the trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are taking it one step and one day at a time. Thank you for the advice. Also, thank you for the support!

    Cheers,
    -Nate

    ReplyDelete