Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 100 - 102: The last days in California

August 13-15
Day 100-102
Mile1606.5-1662.0
Etna to Seiad Valley

Day 100: Oh the distractions in town stops

Day 100! Wow! I can't believe we have been out here for 100 days. Today we woke up refreshed and went to breakfast with caveman express, action and minor. All 5 of us ordered chocolate milkshakes as well as breakfasts.








We wanted to charge our phones and rest a few more minutes then start to hitch out. In the hiker hut, hikers were watching Macgyver so we sat and watched. We all ended up watching 3 episodes and an infomercial. I'm not sure how it got on the infomercial but at one point I actually realized it was an infomercial and wondered why I was watching it. I looked around to see every other hiker in the room just as transfixed as I was on the TV. I can't for the life of me tell you now what they were selling. We all joked about the first hiker we would lose to TV. Around lunchtime we tried to hitch out of Etna with minor and action. A guy named Jim picked us all up and we rode in his truck bed.




We all walked pretty slow and took many breaks because it was so hot. We passed some trail maintenance and entered the Marble Mountain wilderness. It was incredible.








We ran into kindergarten cop who we hadn't seen since Echo lake which was exciting and we talked to him for a good chunk of the day. We cowboy camped with minor and action. At one point, right before I went to bed, I noticed an abundance of spiders on and around my bag. I also wanted to sleep light so i could wake up around midnight for the meteor shower. Needless to say I didn't sleep very well as I was constantly having to brush spiders off me all night.

Day 101: Majestic Marble Mountains

I managed to wake up to see a few meteors, but overall didn't sleep very well. It was another beautiful day in the marble mountains with breathtaking views, wildflowers, and rock caves! There were too many good pictures!
















Near the end of the day we began to see smoke from the 3 lightning fires near Seiad Valley. For now the PCT remains open and we are hoping the fires don't get bigger and cause a trail closure.

Day 102 - Last Stop in Cali!

We had heard that Seiad Valley was one of the hottest places on the trail so we woke up early to get the hike into town done early. The first 11 miles weren't hot at all because we were in tree cover but the last few miles were a really hot and smokey road walk.








The diner closed at 2 so we immediately ordered food and shakes. Hikers had gathered at the RV park so we went there and sat in an air conditioned room with TV and sorted our resupply. A group of us decided to stay the night and we bbqed hot dogs. Kindergarten cop taught us how to play mumbley peg and that entertained us for a long time.




We camped on the RV park lawn and decided to get up early to get the 4500 ft climb done early before it got too hot and the smoke from the fires set in.

-Jenna
-Be Free

No comments:

Post a Comment